So, you’re interested in getting a 5-tool combo set….how about the DeWALT DCK590L2 MAX?
If you’re looking for a set of tools to speed up your DIY projects, you may want to check out the DeWalt 5 Tool Combo. The name DeWalt is no stranger to power tools, so when this came out we wanted to find out what it has to offer.
We went over each of the tools included in the set, and the following is our overall assessment of the combo.
So What is Included in this Five-Tool Combo?
The five tools are the LED work light, the reciprocating saw, circular saw, ¼” impact driver and the hammer drill.
Along with the 3-year warranty, there is a 90-day money back guarantee and 1-year free service. The lithium ion batteries have a 3-year warranty.
The ½” hammer drill is powered by a 535-watt motor, providing you with a superior performance in light to medium tasks. It works with a ½” chuck, and you get carbide inserts which minimize slipping; the inserts also improve bit grip and prolongs the lifespan of the tool.
The hammer drill uses DeWalt’s proprietary 3-speed design, 0-600 to 1,250 RPM, and 0-200 RPM. The transmission is metal and 30% quicker than the typical hammer drill.
Its impact driver goes up to 2,800 RPM, making it 43% faster than the standard impact driver. It has a ¼” hex chuck which is compatible with 1” bit tips. The tool works well in tight spots and weighs just 3.4 lbs.
The circular saw runs on a 460-watt motor, giving you sufficient power for plunge and bevel cutting, ripping and other cuts. Its handle has been optimized for comfort.
The reciprocating saw is light, making it easy to use in tight spots. The blade clamp simplifies blade changing, and you can reverse the blade for flush and upside-down cutting. You also get 0-300 SPM so it cuts fast. With the variable speed, you also get full control of each cut, and it has an electric brake as well.
The LED work light does what it’s supposed to, provide lighting. With 110 lumens, it is brighter than the typical work light, so you can see better in dimly lit areas. The light also makes easier to distinguish between colors, and does not produce as much heat as regular xenon fixtures.
- The combo comes with a DCD985 20V MAX hammer drill with ½” ratcheting chuck and proprietary 3-speed transmission
- A DCS393 20V MAX circular saw is included. A carbide blade measuring 6 ½” is integrated for single pass cutting of various materials
- Its DCL040 20V MAX LED generates 110 lumens and serves as an all-purpose work light
- The DCF885 20V MAX 1/4″ impact driver has 3 LED lights with a 20-second delay, providing enhanced visibility without casting shadows
- The combo includes the DC5381 20V MAX reciprocating saw for fast and efficient cutting. It has a keyless blade clamp so you can replace the blade without touching the reciprocating shaft or the blade
- All the tools have a 3-year warranty
- The package also includes a contractor bag, charger, and a belt hook
Sub-Compact, Light, Powerful, and Versatil
- Each tool is durable and well designed
- MAX LED work light provides excellent lighting
- Consistent performance
- Faster than regular power tools
- Circular saw base feels a little flimsy
- No guard adjustment on reciprocating saw
The DeWalt 5 Tool Combo is a well-rounded set which should appeal to a wide range of users. For homeowners, the 5 tools can replace a lot of those in their garages, and these are going to last longer.
The set also appeals to DIYers because with one purchase, you get a comprehensive set of tools which perform common DIY tasks. These tools also have the power to meet the requirements of contractors and electricians, remodelers and those in the carpentry business.
The instructions for each tool are adequate, and if you have used similar tools in the past, the procedure is easy. If you’re looking for a set of tools which are easy to operate and are ergonomic, this combo package will do fine.
What’s really nice about this combo is the tools were well chosen. Any number could have been included here, but the two saws, the impact driver and hammer drill are the ones most DIYers are going to use. Because the tools are well chosen and work well with each other, it’s suitable for use at home or your workshop.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Buying an all-in-one set makes sense only if the products are practical and designed to last. In the case of the DeWalt 5 Tool Combo, you get a set of complementary tools which can handle most common DIY and home improvement jobs, so it’s a buy.